Once the service started though, John calmed down and I recalled the reason I put myself through this every week. Though I don't get as much from the service as I probably would if I didn't have to take care of John, I get enough.
Some random thoughts.
- I don't recall anyone in my congregation ever criticizing me because I couldn't control John.
- When I have had to take John out of the service, I have been told that I need to take him back in because he wasn't bothering anyone.
- I have never been shushed in the hallways. That one is a big one for me, I still have nightmares from my previous congregation.
- I have had people come up to me and offered encouragement and hugs.
- For whatever reason, John is at his best during the sermon, which I am grateful for, it allows me a better chance to listen and comprehend.
- I am amazed that the same people will sit in front of us week after week. We try to sit out of the way so as not to disturb others.
- John gave our pastor a hug on our way out of church today, which was nice and more than a little surprising.
In her sermon, our pastor used a desert island joke. I found a variation of it and I am re-blogging it below. I am glad that I found an accepting church for both me and for John.
A man is rescued after many years on a desert island. As he stands on the deck of the rescuing vessel, the captain says to him, "I thought you were stranded alone. How come I can see three huts on the beach?"
"Well," replies the castaway, "that one there is my house and that one there is where I go to church."
"And the third one?" asks the skipper.
"Oh, that's the church I used to go to."
No comments:
Post a Comment