Tuesday, May 04, 2010

UT study: No proof that eliminating gluten, casein from diets of autistic children is effective

We tried putting John on a gluten and casein free diet for awhile.  He did not like the diet and I didn't any improvement. 

Here are some of what I thought were the more interesting quotes.  Check out the entire article here

  • But the study says there is no scientific evidence that the diets help, and in fact, they can lead to reduced bone thickness and cause other harm.
  • "As I reviewed the research, I developed the theory; the diet doesn't have anything to do with autism," Mulloy said in an interview.
  • The UT study concludes that such diets should only be used on children with autism who have "acute behavioral changes, seemingly associated with changes in diet, and/or (when) medical professionals confirm through testing the child has allergies or food intolerances to gluten and/or casein."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment