Thursday, February 05, 2009

Beehive: The Farewell Performances


My friend Andrew surprised me last Friday evening by taking me to one of the farewell performances of Beehive. It was as much fun as it was the first time I saw it.

Click the link above to see a short clip from the musical at Zachary Scott Theater. For the uninitiated:

BEEHIVE, the original big hair 60’s Girl Group musical is back for its special Farwell Performances at ZACH! Created by Larry Gallagher, Beehive is the rafter-raising tribute to the Girl Groups and individual artists who skyrocketed to fame between the years 1960-69. Directed by ZACH Artistic Director Dave Steakley, BEEHIVE is the winner of six Austin Critics’ Table Awards, including “BEST MUSICAL REVUE!”

BEEHIVE delivers a solid gold song book of hits made famous by The Crystals (“One Fine Day”), The Angels (“My Boyfriend’s Back”), Martha Reeves and the Vandellas (“Heat Wave”), Connie Francis (“Where The Boys Are”), Tina Turner (“Proud Mary”), Aretha Franklin (“Natural Woman”), Diana Ross and the Supremes (“Stop! In The Name of Love”), Janis Joplin (“Try, Just a Little Bit Harder”), just to name a few. Performing over forty-four chart toppers, ZACH’s performers are six women who earn your R.E.S.P.E.C.T.!

I saw it when it first came out at the Paramount Theater here in Austin. It was a lot of fun to see four of the original performers in these roles again. Just like the first time I saw them, I was electrified by some of the performances. So much talent. Through the years I have seen the main four performers in various productions and have gained a greater appreciation for their talents. Last year, Judy Arnold even came to sing at our church.


I saw an interview with one of the performers Rebecca Schoolar in the Austin American Statesman where she talked about getting older and saying goodbye to Beehive.

No comments:

Post a Comment