We have one of Rachel's old notebooks that was taking forever to boot up. Once you got on, it took forever to get Internet Explorer (IE) up.
I download a copy of Revo Uninstaller and got rid of a bunch of programs that no one was using anymore like a version of Office that had hooks for a defunct product to create webpages. Apparently at bootup, the Office software was looking to connect to the defunct product and kept hanging up windows.
I saw that there were all kind of toolbars for IE, some of which were probably no long supported. That explained why it took so long to get IE going. I used Revo to uninstall the toolbars. One of the nice things about Revo is that you can have it clean out the registry also.
After getting rid of some of the programs, I went to the tools tab and checked to see what was being launched at startup. A lot of the stuff looks like Greek to me, and I am in the computer business. If you right click on the entry, one of the options is to do a Google lookup and find out what it is. One of the first startup items on that notebook was some kind of a trojan. I was able to both delete from the startup list and get rid of it using Revo.
The long and short is that now it boots very quickly and IE fires up instantly.
"Revo Uninstaller helps you to uninstall software and remove unwanted programs installed on your computer even if you have problems uninstalling and cannot uninstall them from 'Windows Add or Remove Programs' control panel applet."
No comments:
Post a Comment