John and I drove to Houston and back on Saturday to see his former school teacher Susan. John looks forward to his yearly summer visits to visit Susan and her husband Pat (aka 'Coach' to John). Susan was in town to visit her daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren, so John and I decided to take the Prius out of town for the first time and go for a visit.
We were there for about five minutes before John decided that I should leave so he could have Susan's total attention. Luckily there was a mall a couple of miles away, so I went shopping at the mall while John and Susan bonded. A few hours later we met for lunch and John and I headed back to Austin.
Years ago I was in a gathering with my younger brother Joe where the discussion turned to the premise of "God never gives you more than you can handle," a concept that always makes me feel uncomfortable because I do feel overwhelmed when I take a moment to think about my life. Joe said something to the effect that God does sometimes give a person more than he or she can handle, but he also sends help. That is how I think of Susan, someone who God has sent to help us with John.
Hi Dave. Love reading about the happenings in your family. I almost feel like I am a part of it(ha-ha)
ReplyDeleteTake Care -- Jason_In_Kentucky