Friday, June 04, 2010

Dear Margo: Autism Awkwardness


Sent to you via Google Reader

Dear Margo: Autism Awkwardness

How does a mother handle strangers who complain when her son has an outburst? Margo Howard's advice …

Margo Howard | Today 12:00 am


Autism Awkwardness



Dear Margo: My husband and I have a 9-year-old son with severe autism. I cope well enough most of the time, but I would really appreciate your advice about how to handle shopping.



My son may look like a typically developing 9-year-old, but if a loud noise startles him, or if he likes something and wants it, or maybe even for no apparent reason, he will make loud noises or say a few words repetitively, getting louder and louder. He can even have a full-blown meltdown (which is like a temper tantrum on steroids). When that happens, I try to finish my shopping as quickly as humanly possible, grabbing only the bare essentials (milk, bread, etc.) and leaving, apologizing and explaining if ...



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment